Friday 19 August 2011

Nero 8, Nero 9, crashing on startup

So the problem I had today was a customer's nero 9 was screwing up as soon as he opened it, some error about MSXML (I should've just started focussing on that but I decided to ignore it like a dumbass). I planned to uninstall and reinstall nero 9, but when I tried to reinstall the installation failed at around 96%. I was on a bit of a rushed schedule so rather than try again I decided to install nero 8 instead which did the same thing but with a different error: "Warning: GetConfigSet()failed! - (line: 260, file .\NSSModel.cpp).."

This was when I realised this was going to be a pain in the ass to fix, so I started looking around. Seems like this issue is caused by a problem with MSXML (Microsoft XML Core Services). After a lot of screwing around I managed to fix the problem by uninstalling all instances of anything related to MSXML and reinstalling just MSXML 4.0 SP3, nothing else. After that, Nero worked fine without a reinstall.

And that's it. All it required was to remove all the MSXML stuff and reinstall MSXML 4.0 SP3. Hopefully that fixes it for you guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment